Sunday, October 21, 2012

Alternate Paths: MOOCs

I've long been a fan of online education. The origin of these pages was my past experience self-educating on the web. I don't think it's that hard, if you just do it. Hence the fairly straightforward sidebar to the right. I recognize though that it is hard to know you can just do it, until you've done it once or twice.

It seems that a consensus framework is building for Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). I gather from these videos that an emphasis is made on community building and networking. I can certainly see how that would ease the transition into online learning for the new student. And, as emphasized in those videos, give them a dual take-away, in both knowledge and a network of like minded friends.

So ... I better take a MOOC to figure it all out. Ideally I'd find a MOOC starting up that is about MOOCs themselves. (I'm not sure why MOOCs have start and end times, and don't just have "class of X" starting every week. That's something to learn.)

Top MOOCs are: Udacity, Coursera and edX. Check 'em out.

No comments:

Post a Comment