- You are not your code.
- You discard your code for something better.
- You look for strengths in other people's solutions.
- When you criticize, it is "defects only," and not style points.
- You are ready for the next person in the door to have a great idea.
- You work with others to (re)combine ideas in pursuit of excellence.
I think these reminders work in parallel to whatever management hierarchy is in place. In general, co-workers will respond in kind. Now and then you get a guy stuck on his idea being best .. let him be, and of course try not to be that guy ;-)